Chevy HHR Family
Welcome back to CHF and be sure to post up. Don't be shy, you might like it. LOL

Latest Updates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Latest Updates

Post by Ike on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm

So after discovering yesterday that the forum has changed a few things in the back office on us, Georg and I did some exploring today to see what is up. Here is the update.

1st off it appears that one of the changes they made is making it difficult to post graphics like we used to. That's why the announcements are missing.
I also noticed today that just changing the graphic for the Featured Chevy Poll from Vote to Reveal isn't working. No matter how many times I put the new codes in and save it, the new code isn't staying put.

Next, I've noticed that typing in here is now more like using a word processor. It used to be that if you added an effect, ie; bold, italics, underline, you would see the start and end commands and place your text between them. Not anymore. It changes it now like using a word processor, you have to know what you're doing or you'll end up  doing all kinds  of weird stuff like that.

We'll just have to wait and see what all the changes are. Worst case scenario is we lose all the graphics we now have.

While researching this today we discovered that we have the option to upgrade our forum format to the newest version, but it's still in BETA testing, so we've decided to just deal with what we have for now. We don't need the headaches that come from BETA versions.

So based on what we now know and it's not a lot, it appears like when I go to change the forum over from Winter Theme to Spring Theme, we'll lose all the graphics except the for the Banner on top. That appears to be working fine for now.

More as it happens.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ike
Admin
Admin

Additional HHR Info : Ike's Blackjack - 2007 2LT Fall Limited Edition. HOTM - May 2008, October 2010, October 2012. HOTY - 2008. HOTQ - Summer 2015

Back to top Go down

Re: Latest Updates

Post by Bad Company on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Gotta love "progress"... NOT !

Dan

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
----Will Rogers
Bad Company

Additional HHR Info : Gray Wolf 2006 Light Tarnished Silver Metallic LT 228,000 miles and counting. Little Red Mickey Victory Red 2LT 141,000 miles 2014 June HOTM

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 pm

One thing about life that seems certain is CHANGE thmbsdwn
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Additional HHR Info : '08 Panel 2LT Southern Edition, select mods, ie: fuzzy dice etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 am

Yep and not always for the better.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Additional HHR Info : Ike's Blackjack - 2007 2LT Fall Limited Edition. HOTM - May 2008, October 2010, October 2012. HOTY - 2008. HOTQ - Summer 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Ike wrote:Yep and not always for the better.

Nope, that's for sure.
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Additional HHR Info : '08 Panel 2LT Southern Edition, select mods, ie: fuzzy dice etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:08 am

So, before they make changes and "upgrades" they don't shoot one of you guys an email and let you know what's going on? That's just nuts.

Lizzie

Additional HHR Info : Lizzie's Buffy 2007 SOM 2.4 liter; 92000 05-22-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 am

Nope, most of the time they just put a message in the back office about "New Stuff" coming. We have to go and discover what all of it is.
This all got discovered this time over a Beta version that is available. The changes with the graphics just popped up on us though.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Ike- Ya think they are trying to kill off the forum ?
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:33 am

No, it's more of streamlining it. Not many people use as many graphics as we do and there so called updates are going to remove that choice for us until I can find a way around it.
Most of the time they 'think' they are helping us out but mostly it's just causing problems. We'll make it work somehow.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:41 pm

Ike- Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Never a dull moment for ya I guess.
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:22 am

Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens Saturday afternoon when I start changing the forum over to Spring.
I can't pinpoint it, but there is something different in the back office on the input boxes for the information.
It used to be just a box where I would put in the code. Now there seems to be another smaller box above the original box that accepts the code, but it doesn't seem to accept it.
I also used to see my code all typed out, now I'm actually seeing the graphic the code generates.
The biggest reason I removed the announcements is because of that and it wasn't showing them all, some just had 'bad' coding.
After a few times trying to input the code it started telling me I was over on the number of characters used.
Just plain weird to me.
I'm hoping all they changed was the way I input the codes and I'll just have to figure out what that was.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobbs on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 am

You Da Man!
Hobbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additional HHR Info : 09 S/S Black, Automatic. Born Oct. 8 2008, Rescued August 27 2015, stage 1 GM performance upgrade, ZZPerformance 3" stainless down pipe & 12 1/4 " Brembo front brake upgrade.. More to come stay tuned!!

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Agree with Don. "Codes" were never my strong suit.
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:15 am

Codes are actually easy. All I do is copy and paste the ones I need. Sometimes I have to modify them a little, but that's easy too.
Most of the graphics comes with their own code, but I have to change the redirect to stay inside the forum since they all want to redirect back to Photobucket.
Still a lot easier than when I did code for a genealogy website for my mom years ago. For that I had to get a program to help me write what I needed.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobbs on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 am

appl appl
Hobbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additional HHR Info : 09 S/S Black, Automatic. Born Oct. 8 2008, Rescued August 27 2015, stage 1 GM performance upgrade, ZZPerformance 3" stainless down pipe & 12 1/4 " Brembo front brake upgrade.. More to come stay tuned!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

OK, I'm in the middle of updating the forum and I have discovered something really screwy. Somewhere along the way of their fantastic upgrades they change the editor setting to "WYSIWYG" What you see is what you get. To turn it off click on the far right Memo looking icon.
Once I found it and turned it off I found I can put all the graphics back up, so we are still in business as usual.
#$%*^(*^&%^%@#%^&*&$#^%%#^$%&* Oh the aggravation.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:18 pm

OK, finished updating the forum now and everything seems to be working just fine.
As it turns out with the WYSIWYG turned on in the editor mode, it was trying to make up and insert code that didn't need to be there. That was why I kept getting the "Too many characters" error.
At least now I know the graphics won't go to waste as I feared.
Keep in mind that clicking on any of the graphics keep you inside he forum except for the ones to Sean and CJ's memorial links.
I sure was at a lost without all those shortcuts created by the graphics. Never realized how much I depended on them. Especially the Announcements. Also found out it takes more clicks to get somewhere in particular without them.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:06 am

You da man Ike. PS: Digging the new Spring wallpaper appl
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:14 am

The thing that bugs me the most about all this, is there is no reason to switch us over to WYSIWYG mode. I can see where it can come in handy for some people, but in the back office it only creates more problems.
What was happening in WYSIWYG mode is that instead of just copying my new codes in the editor boxes, it was adding a lot of unneeded codes.
Once I discovered it and turned it off, I went back in and discovered the codes it had written and it was a mess. In some of the editor boxes I had over 1000 lines of code. And it was trying to associate it back to my word processor program.
Most of my codes are only 2 or 3 lines long at the most.
The announcements take up 6 lines, That's the one I found with over 1000 lines of and I'll say it, stupid coding that made no sense at all.
OK, rant over..... I now have a note on my monitor to check the WYSIWYG in the future.

If you're having issues in the editor mode, try turning off the WYSIWYG mode by clicking on the button I circled on this pic:

It's not so much of a mess to use on the forum, but it is a troublemaker in the back office.

Billy: Nice to hear.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Ike-  I'm glad you understand all that stuff.  2thumbs

Seems that button was already off as I post this.
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Back to top Go down

Post by Ike on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:18 am

Well, we have WYSIWYG mode disabled on the forum and that's what I checked Saturday before I started the change over and it is turned off, so by default, no one should be seeing it unless they enable it in the editor mode. What I found was that it had been enabled in editor mode which goes against the forum settings. Only conclusion, The editor mode was changed during the forum's last update. So far, that's all I can see that was changed. Since that setting is easy to overlook, that is what happened until I thought about it. Put on my bloodhound hat and went after it, but it's just sad that the forum creators have to change things like that. WOW, rant on, over now.

Ike
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sleeper on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:07 pm

2thumbs Cool Beans !!!
sleeper
7 Stars
7 Stars

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top